Friday, February 17, 2006

The Letter "Esssssssssssssss"

My name is spelt as "Esssssssssssssssssss-a-u-m-y-a"

Twas the time when the milk teeth was a vanishing brood, and power cuts were the order of the day. The candles would be lit, and they would bring forth light (not enlightenment as is evident)As you don your mask of innocence, and say the letter "S", the family would watch on in dark glee as the candles fluttered, before dying out in the wind...."OOOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!"

I remember hearing with awe the fact that a powercut in Mumbai made it to National News! This morning, as I beat the morning yawns and legged it to the office - I was told that there had been an unexpected power outage, and we were welcome to go strolling in the park till power was restored - unless of course we had some work that did not require a computer! A generation ago that would have meant work as usual. But for us, it meant childlike glee!

Off we went gallivanting around town, picking flowers and sipping coffee before our world turned dim by the arrival of bright lights. Sadly, there were no candles to say the letter 'S' in front of.

3 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

LOL!!!

BrainWaves said...

what a change from our days. There are times I was thrilled if 'current' (that is what we call electricity isn't it?) goes off, since that gives us an opportunity to skip studies and go and play. But I hate when it shuts down during rainy and humid chennai nights. The days I was up in the night hearing the sound of my father using the "visiri" (hand-fan) lives only in my memory now.

b v n said...

nicely done

often wondered whether these power cuts and candles made us all little romantics :-)