Friday, March 10, 2006

A story of ...

The rays of the moon pored through the clouds. I lay shivering in the cold, too tired & cold to attract help. My body shivered against the relentless cold, my mind sifted through my own thought processes a few weeks earlier.

Then, I was alive, but in my dreams - today my dreams had come true, but I was dying.

The world outside through the bars in the gold-rimmed cage had seemed wonderful, and every slight opportunity I got, I fantasized about a life of freedom - a life when I could use my wings for that wonderful feeling of free flight. When the time seemed right, that flight I did take. I felt the soaring air flap against my face, I peered to the Earth below and scooped in the delightful flowers.

Life seemed fulfilling before the eerieness of unfamiliarity struck with all its brutality - I now yearned for the motherly touch of the little girl who had nurtured me. The world was closing in....it was gloomier and gloomier, till it was finally dark.

The next thing I remember was the wonderful touch I had yearned for. Warm blood cruised through my veins again. I felt a hot drop against my face, and then another one. I stared up to see the little girl crying for me to pardon her. Did I get the drift of her message through the tears? She wasn't aware that I was unhappy, and she would let me go my way once I healed? It sounded too good to be true.

Time passed and I healed. I flew joyously among the flowers, trees and hills. Every night I dutifully returned to the little girl's garden: There was no cage but this was my world now. I was free to do what I wanted and this is what I wanted to do.

I was the Queen in my garden!

A story of a bird
A story of just another modern day woman

6 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

Extremely well written!

Survivor said...

This would have been apt for "Women's day"!:-). LOVED n ENJOYED perusing it.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I didnt understand it first. But, after a little hand-holding from survivor, got the idea. I liked it both from a literary and thought process perspective. Wonderful stuff !

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Guys. Like I told my mother, you are welcome to interpret it however you want.

Manohar said...

Same here, I didn't understand head or tail until meera explained a bit to me :)

Awesome!!!

nourish-n-cherish said...

Well....Manu/Mindframes, what can I say?
"Oru ponnoda manasae innuru ponnala dhaan purinjikka mudiyum"

One of those oft-heard irritating cinema dialogues!!