Friday, August 18, 2006

VM Vs ME

Life always gives everybody moments to cherish and nourish. I am sure most call-center representatives talk to customers with a gargantuan effort to stop from splitting their sides at our stupidity. Today, I have the supreme satisfaction of livening up a family's dinner table with my knowledgeable call to my cell-phone's customer service.

I have a cell-phone with keeps blinking to my face that I have n voicemails. I tried telling it, that I KNOW I have n voicemails, I just can't retrieve it! My voicemail has been password protected (and my password works no longer) to ensure that nobody else retrieves my voicemails. I am trying to think of one person who is interested in messages left for a pearl-aged mother of a 2 year old, and draw a blank.

After a couple of indignant phone calls from my friends who had to repeat the message again, since I had no method of listening to their winding messages, I called customer service, and it went like this:

She: Sure Ma'am. Resetting your password should be easy to do.
Me: Gee....thanks

A minute later, she said I am all set.

I breezed into the voicemail, and the automated conversation took an ugly turn:
VM: Please enter your password
Me: ----#
VM: Please enter your password -- in a more indignant tone, but that's entirely my perception
Me: ----#
VM: Sorry you are having trouble, please try again later. Beep.

The blasted thing just blew me off! Perseverance thy name being me, I persevered.
I huffed and puffed, and called customer service again. Several calls later (Both to customer service and my VM), I was getting more and more piqued with the utter callousness with which the system cut me off while I was interacting with it.

The system kept cutting me off on my face. I pick my battles, but this one was rubbing itself on me the wrong way. I was ticked off, and intended to show it a piece of its own abyssmal behaviour. So, I called VM, and when it asked for the password, I disconnected - Ha Ha!!

Throughout this drama, I had Mike sitting on the other side displaying a remarkable restraint from popping out of his chair and laughing. I know what his family hears at the dinner table tonight!

PS: I still can't access voicemail, so, don't bother leaving me a message!

5 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

Now, I know why I never heard you mention the voicemails I left you all along!!!

It's a wonder how your phone still works after what it's been through in Keena Peena's hands!? (-;

nourish-n-cherish said...

Well that's true Meera. Once we sent the phone as it was still under warranty, and it came back with the diagnosis - "Unknown fluid inside" (Jollu!)

Hip Grandma said...

this is a techno saavy world with its own set of troubles.a trouble free existance would not be interesting

Archana Bahuguna said...

that is absolutely hilarious :-) good luck next time! u shud warn and ridicule and blackmail the customer service until they give u ur msgs back. :-)

sdpal said...

I cant beleive you gave up..
No Saumya.. No..
Fight till you get your passwd..