Thursday, January 11, 2007

Freedom

Freedom of Speech & Worship
Freedom from Want & Fear
Where liberty's torch is gleaming
And our way of life is dear

These were the lines in one of our school songs, the song affects me in more ways than I had imagined. I am witnessing a demonstration against the Bush regime imploring the US to stop sending more troops to Iraq.

This is what I love about freedom of speech. There is a small band of protestors gathered in San Francisco, replete with drums and bugles.

I love the sight of these determined people out in the cold, standing up for what they believe in.

The only thing that baffles me, is the fact that the Iraq war has been compared to Vietnam war so much, it should have sent unsettling signals when the first set of comparisons started. To sustain it to ensure that the Iraq war is the costliest mistake in really difficult to comprehend.

A mistake once is just that: a mistake
Same mistake twice : A stake too dear to miss

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The point is Toyo, people in America are less aware of what is happening in Iraq. I have a colleague who has visited Baghdad during Saddam's regime. He was one of the Indian expats caught in Kuwait during the invasion and was part of the refugees who were evacuated by the Indian Government by road through Iraq and Jordan. He thinks Saddam deserves what he got and Iraq definitely needed interference by someone

nourish-n-cherish said...

That may be fine. But the subsequent steps taken by the US govt is questionable. In my opinion, they should not have disbanded the army, and fired all government jobs. Unemployment shot up, and now the country is in far chaos. More importantly, US boys are dying there.

Archana said...

This was on the news this morning - so you work at Market Street?

I have never been a supporter of this war. I am not sure how much better off the Iraqis are now and how good the troops who are forced to go out there feel about the whole thing. I suspect neither would want the war if they had the choice.