Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Defending choices

Here is a pet peeve of mine. People make choices - what irks me is the justification for these choices. When there is a choice, a person takes what works for them better - period.

You could be a person who analyzes everything to death or be someone who makes a choice rather quickly, and lets life unfold. Whatever it maybe, I don't like the approach of : "I take the high road because I am smarter"

Some choices turn out to be smart ones, some don't. The important thing is to feel comfortable with the choice when the option to choose is given to you.

I was reading this morning about parenting, and again got me thinking. Guess what? I am not an ideal mother. I am irritable, I sometimes take shortcuts with my child's food (soup is enough I declare - but that's only because I don't have the energy that day to get her to eat spinach and rice!). But overall, I am okay. My child and I enjoy each other's company - well....let's leave it there shall we? Did I make a highly intelligent choice when I initiated my daughter into reading? No! I just did what I enjoyed doing, and did it with her. Consequently, she started liking books. Instead of saying this, I could ramble on about the research that proves reading makes the brain more stimulating - guess what? I just alienated myself! Sometimes, we all make choices that may not prove to be ideal.

I hate the way parents obsess about the colds their children catch from other kids, the share and play mentality, the gentle approach - the swim class, the dance class. I may take my daughter to dance and swim classes in the future, and if she likes it, and sticks to it long enough, why not? But if at that point, you catch me talking about what a wise choice I made with the swim and dance classes - do me a favour and stop me will you? This sort of thing is infectious and the more I meet mothers, the better the chances are that I start talking like this!

4 comments:

BrainWaves said...

It is tiring to listen one defend their choices when you are not interested one way or other.

Another point to note is, obsessing about not defending choices. i.e. checking whether you are defending are not all the time is not good either :)

Manohar said...

@saumya: cha irundhaalam u shouldn't have just given keena soup.

or did u do it seinfeld style 'no soup for you'?

Survivor said...

Heard this yesterday ...
"If you don't make the right choice,then the choice makes you".

But, if you have made a choice consciously, there is no harm in defending it either especially if others don't understand it.

Archana Bahuguna said...

Some people have a constant need to show how smart and intelligent they are and how others are NOT. Some really go overboard with it! I like to stay away from those ones. :-)