Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Disneyland: A trip to the magical kingdom

Every time I go to Disneyland, I become a small girl again. This time was more magical than ever. You see this time I truly had a little princess with me.

One of the things I find about Disneyland is that we can never be dressed right for the place. To elaborate further, this time my sleigh(read: bulky stroller) was loaded with woollen like it was truly travelling to and from the North Pole. We had gone when the low temperature in Bay area was hovering around 0 degrees celcius. So, we dressed in layers, took along additional jackets and coats that would have put an eskimo watching a polar bear in the cold to shame. Guess what? The day was so fine, we were hot in t-shirts and jeans! So, I spent a wonderful day in a wonderful land with a huge bag containing jackets strung across my back! This...when I had the foresight to check the weather prior to the trip, and the temperature indicated a low of 3 degrees celcius on the aforesaid day - sigh!

The last time I went was August of 2005, and we spent the majority of the day skulking around in the shade, and fanning ourselves with the disney map because the temperature hovered around 90 degrees fahrenheit! We got active only by 6p.m. and rushed from corner to corner after that.

While I always enjoyed the music at Disneyland, this time it was more meaningful because my daughter was singing all these songs at home, and for the first time I knew all the songs being sung! I gaped at the parade, and loudly sighed everytime I saw a character I knew my daughter would recognize. Kee was so excited with all the activity in the morning, that she fell into a deep slumber just as the parade started. The parade went like this:
" Oh .. see snow white. Oh no....kunju please get up. Oh..mickey mouse. Oh no...please get up"
I admire myself for mentioning said phrases for every set in the parade tirelessly much to the chagrin of folks around me. At one point, I thought the parade was going to stop, and Mickey would come by and say, "Don't worry - she can see me in the evening, can't she?!"

I even tried to pluck her eyelids open, but she wouldn't budge. I call myself a dutiful mother because I wriggled through the crowds, and found her a spot on the dustbin where she could see the 6 p.m. parade from - then I stopped whining about her missing the parade.

To beat the crowd weaving out after the fireworks, we left before the fireworks, and asked a Disney employee how to get to our parking lot. She helpfully pointed us in exactly the opposite direction, and we ran and jumped into the trolley - daughter, stroller, bag of jackets, old parents and all. We realised what happened after reaching the destination, and doubled back to the park entrance. Now, we ran towards the right direction, this time without opening out the stroller. I don't know why we did not think of opening the stroller, but my husband ran carrying the bulky stroller folded and held most uncomfortably. I shall have to save this for another blog, but there is no comfortable way to carry a stroller and a car seat!

I ran behind him carrying the following:
1) My 3 year old daughter who was in splits laughing. I don't know why she found my predicament so amusing, maybe it felt like a bumpy safari - I would never know, but I couldn't help laughing with her too!
2) A huge bag weighing around about the same as my daughter with the jackets for protecting us against the cold on my back. I must mention I was sweating profusely with all the running!
3) A camera
4) A handbag

I was running at a pretty decent pace. That explains why people were staring at me like I was an ostrich taking weight training and sprinting to an extreme!

Disney managed to spin its magic as always, and we reluctantly plucked ourselves away from the magical kingdom to the real world in the right trolley towards the right parking lot in splits of laughter that had other tired folks jealous.

5 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Keena is the only one who figured out the funny side of what we were doing. Carrying both the kid & stroller separately :)

Going to disneyland with a 3yr old is SO much different from all the previous visits. You are amused not only by the dreamy park but also by the awestruck child.

I always go to disneyland with lot of reluctance and end up enjoying it for its jubiliant environment.

If you think about it, all theme parks are like that. You don't know what you are going to do before you go..but end up going to rides which you never imagined in life :)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Life is like that - you never know what is there if you don't try it out right?

Archana Bahuguna said...

LOL. "I even tried to pluck her eyelids open" was really funny. Nice blog. :-)

I still have to go to Disney Land and you are one heck of a mom! Happy new Year BTW.

Rajeswari P said...

Sounds like a great trip.
Looks like Keeks enjoyed herself! :)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Archana *** You can't see me grinning from ear to ear, but I am ***

Yep Raji ... she still takes us on imaginary trips to Disneyland in her "car"