Friday, June 12, 2009

Pensick

Those were the days! The years when the heart was young, and the palpable energy of youth was looking for an outlet. The finality of the written word against the hazy thought circulating in the throes of the brain.

I revered my heroes with an insane love. I liked my hero to be either maroon or green. I rather liked the green for luck, and the maroon for looks. With my heroes by my side, I could tear any examination apart, I could make the protoganist of any novel cry through my sarcastic witticisms. In short, I truly believed in the power of the pen.

Yes, another one of my quirks. I was very attached to my pens. I had two "Hero" pens as they were called. I took care of them. While the apes among us used their hero ink-pens as darts, I polished them, made sure they were filled with ink, and were never insulted with a bent nib. The pen somehow aided my flow of thoughts.

The ballpoint pens nestled in the box too. The sleek and thin Reynolds. The super-hero that could save you, when you had to ditch the quaint calligraphic style and rush in a hurriedly drafted incorrect assignment.

Through my college, I stuck to my hero-pen and reynolds ballpoint pens. They were my friends.

Then, something sad happened. I entered the corporate world - the world of mass production and abundance as it were. I tell you, the more people earn, the pettier they become. At one point, people started perceiving free pens as a component of their salary! I once saw a person stuff his pants with free pens (I had to keep trying not to think how/where it would poke when he sat!) I lost the awe for pens - ruined forever! I could pick up any pen, that looked exactly like any other free pen in the office. As long as I tried not to imagine it being used a tooth-pick, or a gum-substitute or a ear-bud by somebody else, it would give me the same experience.

I am penstalgic and I want my own special pens once more. (Yes, I made up the word penstalgic - Bad? Yes, I know! But I am sure I could come up with a better word if I had a pen I was attached to!)

8 comments:

Charu said...

Good word, took me a bit for my dumb head to get it thou!

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Charu. I am going to buy a pen for myself again!

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Charu. I am going to buy a pen for myself again!

anand said...

Saumya

Have you ever tried to get a bottle of ink in America? :).

Survivor said...

I guess you had to become sick of pens to realize that you are pensick :-)


Btw, you see to be allowing only people with google account to comment.

krishna2 said...

I was ok with writing but after having used Vi and spellcheck, autocorrect, macros and copy&paste (from everywhere, of course), I now have penertia..maybe even penophobic. (I see your one new word and raise by two). :)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Krishna2: nice try :)

AMIT said...

Nice post from you.

Lingerie Bookmark