Thursday, September 03, 2009

When to update Facebook?

What a coincidence? I have been meaning to write about Facebook for a while now, when New York times runs this article

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30FOB-medium-t.html

I quote from the article above:
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold. Facebook, the online social grid, could not command loyalty forever. If you ask around, as I did, you’ll find quitters. One person shut down her account because she disliked how nosy it made her. Another thought the scene had turned desperate. A third feared stalkers. A fourth believed his privacy was compromised. A fifth disappeared without a word.

The exodus is not evident from the site’s overall numbers. According to comScore, Facebook attracted 87.7 million unique visitors in the United States in July. But while people are still joining Facebook and compulsively visiting the site, a small but noticeable group are fleeing — some of them ostentatiously

This piece aligns itself with the sort of news I was recently criticizing. "If you ask around" - this had me dished. How was I supposed to ask around - on Facebook?! Clearly, people are quitting the site. How would they answer me? The stress made me want to update my status.

This statement is of course the crowning glory:
But while people are still joining Facebook and compulsively visiting the site, a small but noticeable group are fleeing — some of them ostentatiously. (Uh....duh....scratch. So, are people joining or are they quitting?)

But, I shall interpret this prolific link to read that many people have been quitting Facebook lately. I have felt like an aging dinosaur, pummeling myself into thinking that by spurning Facebook, I would lose touch with my friends, and like the dinosaurs unable to adapt, roam in a physical world, where the only contact was through Facebook, and water only the virtual kind. Sad, speechless....well....you get the drift.

Don't get me wrong, but Facebook felt to me like a big "Oops!" waiting to happen. I accepted anyone wanting to reach out to me, and before I knew it, I had a whole lot of friends from all my associations - kindergarten classmates, tea stall mates, college bonda mates, colleagues in the various companies I have worked in. Everytime, I attempted to post a message, I was baffled. What on Earth will I tell all these people that will interest them all at the same time?

Feeling sleepy?
Want to drink Tea?
Wants to step out

The problem with all the messages I did want to put up was that, it felt like a yearning. If I was already drinking tea, I wouldn't put that up, I'd be busy sipping my tea. If I went out, I would not stop to update my Facebook status, I'd be out the door.

The only time I felt a status was warranted was when I finished running a half-marathon. But, I think the World will agree with me here when I say that, that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through in order to put up a Facebook status.

So life passes me by, and the stress of not having anything to say gnaws at me ..........

PS: Another link: Recruiters screen facebook too! http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2035-Job-Info-and-Trends-More-Employers-Screening-Candidates-via-Social-Networking-Sites/?sc_extcmp=JS_2035_home1&SiteId=cbmsnhp42035&ArticleID=2035&gt1=23000&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=d1afeba127564100aae4334a5fe432f0-305904617-w6-6

5 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Nice blog!

I must say.. I was as skeptical as you before I entered the facebook world.

Few observations
- Inhibition goes away after seeing others updating what you previously thought as trivial thing. And our updates triggers other new comers to loose their inhibition etc.
- It definitely builds community. Like any other community, you gel with them only if we you speak the same language (wave length match)
- Like anything there are over doers (IMO)
- You do get good/valuable inputs if your connections are far and wide

- Key problem for me is, lack of easy separation between multiple groups (office, neighborhood, friends etc.)

Survivor said...

Want to say something trivial....like about the Facebook Exodus, well...yeehm...say it in your blog.. :-)

I have decided not to be a social animal and live in my own cocoon...nuhnuh...no Facebook for me...

nourish-n-cherish said...

Brainwaves: I agree this is a big miss. I think Facebook intended it to be a big hit with teens, and when erumai maadus started using it with gusto, kannu kuty friends, meyara friends, milking friends all came together

nourish-n-cherish said...

Read this link: Makes sense
http://www.freep.com/article/20090902/BLOG36/90902042/If-Facebook-were-a-dinner-party

Gaathi said...

Akka, then where will you find meaningful quotes like the ones I post :-)

Nice post.