Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A New Genre in the Footwear Industry

Boots, Clogs, Lace up (Oxford Style & Derby Style), Mocassin, Mule, Sport Sandals, Casual Sandals, Monks, Pumps, Sport shoes - running shoes, tennis shoes and sneakers. To this impressive list, I have the honor of adding a new genre. The latest entry into the footwear world is trend-setting, and multi-functional. I chanced on this model quite by accident. For people seeking asymmetry and anatomical variations for ideal fit, this model is surprisingly scalable and what is more, one size fits all!

Ladies & Gentlemen: Welcome the PLASTIC COVER!!

My prized discovery stems from an act of nonchalance. I had decided to wear a pretty pair of slippers to work that eventful day. I was waiting for my train to arrive, while I toyed with a pebble on the platform. I decided to clear the platform of this menace by kicking it onto the tracks. Not only did I get the pebble out of the way, I also sent my slipper along for company. I watched the trajectile motion of the slipper before it landed with a dull thump on the tracks over 10 feet below. The innocent pebble seemed to mock me from below - I ignored it's daunting gaze, and willed my slipper to climb back on.

Things were happening fast now - my train pulled into the platform, and I was forced to hobble into the train with one foot in a slipper. At this juncture, I can describe exactly how prized asses must feel: there is a tingling sensation in the barefoot, the body tilts at 10 degrees, ears flush and cheek colouring approaches crimson. Add to this, the exclamations from well-dressed commuters in Business attires and embarrassment is replete!

Well meaning co-commuters were questioning how I had managed a thing as daft as throwing out my own slipper. Fellow passengers who had witnessed the event at the station volunteered with more information for those not within hearing distance of my own explanation. Let's just say I blushed all the way home! Some people even advised me on the pragmatic use of shoes with laces!

As my station approached, I was touched by the number of people who offered me a ride home. One lady offered me a sock that she had bought that day. I politely declined the offer. Soon, I was presented with the perfect solution - the plastic cover. "At least, you won't step on gum!" as one commuter put it! This plastic cover requires no frills - only a pant under which to tuck the cover so that it does not slip off.

Speed and dexterity are minor compromises to be endured in this model. That apart, I sailed home like a sailboat on a perfectly windless day!

6 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Very funny narration and exquisite choice of words.
(I used "exquisite" just to keep up the response with the tempo of the article :))

Rajeswari P said...

A very interesting episode, very nicely portrayed!
Kudos! "Cindrella" !

nourish-n-cherish said...

Hey Raji.....I didn't quite think of Cinderella - that is interesting! My prince only thought of making fun of me the whole time though ;)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

You have got me into a mixed emotion. One part of me laughs out loud on how funny it must have been. The other part of me feels sorry for the embarrassment that you faced... My mind is more in tune with the first part..;)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Anand....for some reason, I wasn't satisfied with that version of the story. So, I decided to re-write it :)

Meera Manohar said...

After I started reading the story, for a minute I was wondering if you had by chance stumbled upon a brilliant utility oriented footware in the US. Sounded just about right, given the conversations we both have had in the past regarding how *wonderful* footware juntha wear(-;

Realized it only when I came to the "plastic cover" part!! *LOL*

Talk about jumping to conclusions!!