Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Shake Shake Shake-a-shake Shake Shake

Caution: This article may contain details that could offend the shakers in our midst. If you are really passionate about shaking your legs - proceed with caution.

What is with shaking one's limbs? I was on the same seat as a born "shaker" the other day, and I landed up getting motion sickness (not from the motion of the train)

Shake Shake Shake-a-shake Shake Shake
Shake Shake Shake-a-shake Shake Shake

I was trying to read a book, but the whole seat was reverbrating with the shaking legs.

I walk into a meeting, and find a person bobbing up and down while merrily shaking his legs! I am unable to shake this thought out of my mind while sharing the same room with them. My mind wills me to hold their legs and stop them from shaking, but decorum demands I ignore it.

There are different kinds of leg shaking too:
(a) The vertical spring shake: This shake has the shaker bobbing his leg up and down, while vigourously shaking the chair, and occasionally the table too.

(b) The horizontal sweep shake: This shake has the shaker freely moving their leg from left to right, with each knee moving away from each other and then, toward each other again.

(c) The cross-legged foot shake: This shaker has the shaker sitting cross-legged, and only shaking the foot of the leg on the upper leg.

Of the categories above, the most engaging kind of shaker is the horizontal sweep shaker, in my opinion. You sit next to this person, and you are constantly sizing up the distance between your leg and the farthest point in the shaker's pendulum-like swing with the corner of your eye. You need to be prepared to move your legs swiftly if the situation demands it, right?

But, just look at a person intently shaking their legs, and you will notice that they seem to be enjoying their routine quite a bit - Well..................one of these days, my alter ego is going to pop out, and stop those shaking legs!!!

5 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

One of my uncles does that big time and I did manage to stop the shake shake shake once.

I jumped to the side of the sofa on which he was seated, and interestingly shake became obselete for the rest of the visit!!!

(-:

Survivor said...

When I was in 12th grade, my friend, sitting right next to me used to do the vertical spring shake and I used to invariably start shaking too since it was a cramped desk . Worst of all, I got into the same mode which was a constant source of irritation for everyone.
Whew!! It took some conscious effort to get over that habit.
Interestingly, my friend stopped her shaking and doesn't even recall her acrobatics.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I hate the vertical spring shake, even if it doesnt vibrate the chair. Simply put, it is just irritating.

BrainWaves said...

Almost all my uncles has this vertical and/or horizontal shake habit. (Is that the reason you wrote this whole thing :) )
Luckily I don't have that habit or do I?

nourish-n-cherish said...

Actually, I wrote this because shakers are everywhere - anywhere people can sit, they start off. I was trying to imagine people bobbing while standing, and it is hilarious!!