Monday, February 26, 2007

Hide-n-Seek

There is a sure-shot method to get a grown person turn red with embarrassment almost instantly. It involves the process of meeting their parents, hoping they remember their child's glorious childhood, and re-kindle their enthusiasm to share the minutest of details. One question you can ask is: Do you remember how baby goliath used to play hide-n-seek? To date, I have not heard this question back-fire. All parents who have spent hours on their mother's knee learning the value of truth, will tell you, how daft their little one was at the game. In fact, I am quite sure Newton's mother will tell you that her son tried to hide himself behind an apple as a child.


It is quite fascinating to see the game of peek-a-boo mature into hide-n-seek. Suddenly, closing one's eyes in the middle of the room, means nobody can see you! Give me a break. When they do hide, you can be almost sure, it will be a choice between spot A and spot B. Spot C becomes too varied. Of all the things the things I like to see best is how they come up with hiding spots when in a hurry.


"Hurry up! Amma will be coming in any moment...hide!"


Keep the pressure on, and see the kind of spots they come up with to really enjoy hide-n-seek. For example, this is where I "found" my daughter hiding when I came home one day. I had to try to avoid tripping over her, given that the box was in the middle of the room. Nevertheless, I spent five whole minutes shouting out her name, and looking for her in every other room, before feigning surprise at find her here.


I started mentioning this to one of my friends, and guess what, her sister came up with? My friend's hide-n-seek past! To protect the privacy of the friend, I shall refrain from mentioning the name, and other details. But, let's say it was highly entertaining to imagine that a highly qualified person with a keen intellect also started out with a deplorable hide-n-seek history!


Another related story that I put up soon, is my brother's hide-n-seek history. Boy, that would be a read!

10 comments:

Survivor said...

Saumya,
I love playing any game with Keena and this one was the best..:-)I was talking about this game again & again..:-) to Suresh after going home on Saturday. She is a real darling and the photo looks so cute.

sdpal said...

Thats a nice picture.
Btw, is that other friend you mentioned "You" ?

Archana said...

ROFL - that picture is so funny :-))))!

Manohar said...

@survivor: You are not scoring more brownie points with keen in my absence are you?

Survivor said...

@Mano,
I think I have gone way beyond mere brownie points...he he he...

@sdpal,
Isn't it interesting how Sawmya is talking about herself as "the other friend" . Maybe, we should ask her sister about the games..:-)

@Saumya,
Ha ha ha ...

nourish-n-cherish said...

Oh well survivor....your comment gave yourself away. (wow....what a sentence!)

Just to make things clear, Survivor's sister mentioned that S would play hide-n-seek, but 100% of the time, she would hide in the exact same spot that her sister hid the last time!

Survivor said...

@Saumya,
I know, I should have kept my stupid mouth shut. :-) Too bad...I couldnt resist after reading sdpal's comment..:-)

Meera Manohar said...

Keena peena is adorable trying to fit her small body into an even smaller toy tub :)

Archana Bahuguna said...

That photo is soooooo innocent. :-)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Archana