Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Perspective

I had the strong urge to not cry - I could feel the pressure of the welled up tears against the blood vessels surrounding my eyes. There was a lump in my throat that had no business being there. I suddenly wished for the familiar confines of my bedroom where I could let my tears flow on unbridled by the demands of maintaining a public facade. My mind raced and stood still at the same time. I thanked God, my stars or destiny (whatever name you could call it) for the life that I am enjoying compared to those I had identified with in the mystical world of fiction in the last few days.

I was reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. I could see it was difficult writing this book - the author uses two voices throughout the book - that of Mariam and Laila. Using two voices, and maintaining the tempo through out the book is a daunting task, but one well accomplished by Khaled. I felt like the luckiest woman alive for the life I am leading. For my loved ones, some of whom may be separated by more than a thousand miles, but all connected through the feeling of unity, of sharing some things in the past/present together.

"You like big words Laila, don't you? Let me give you one - Perspective" says Rasheed in the book. That statement said it all. My little worries, minor irritants - both human and otherwise seem fine.

5 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

Somehow, some authors just have a way of putting things that effect us more than we would like it to.

There were many a time when tears just started rolling down my cheeks while reading "The kite runner". And I am sure I will probably do the same if not more when I get to read this book.

You may want to read "Into the wild" by Jon Krakauer if not already. It has come out as a major motion picture as well.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Meera, I'll read this one too.

apparently, kite runner is going to come out as a movie too.

Meera Manohar said...

Kite runner is already out. It's now on DVD as well (on Netflix).

Quite good but not as detailed as the book-- as with all movies based on books excepting the HP series probably.

Archana Bahuguna said...

Hey, did hear a lot about this book. Will pick it up sometime. Also have to read the Kite Runner. Thans for sharing.

BrainWaves said...

Looks like the author is successful in making the reader understand what emotions the characters are going through.

Kite runner made me feel very uncomfortable about the luxuries I had in life at the same time admire the amazing life I am living.
And also, it showed how resilient (and cruel) human beings are & can be.

I post-poned (much to the disliking of my beloved) reading after 100 pages because it made me so uncomfortable.