Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Boutique? Really?

English continues to amaze and astonish me. I received this communication earlier today from a staffing firm.

At --- Solutions, we specialize in staffing a wide variety of technical positions on a Contract, Contract-To-Hire and Direct Hire basis. As a boutique staffing firm, we are well suited to meet the unique needs of our clients.

Boutique staffing firm? Maybe my conditioned response to 'Boutiques' associates it with products - such as clothes, jewellery and the like. I have to hand it to the bloke writing out these notices. I can't imagine him having the most enviable career coming up with lines intended to dazzle the reader! What in essence he must do is use big words in the sad hope that in this economy people would take notice.

Maybe he has attended the school of thought that tells him using exquisite words for body-shopping is cool. To me it sounds strange and a bit sad.

No comments: