Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Some things never change

In the pre-digital era, the more useless pictures in our album at home were usually attributed to me. There you see my then kid brother measuring 4ft 3inches looking a grand 6 ft 4 inches, and somewhere else a touch of scenery gone all awry when taken from the moving train. From then on, I have always admired good photographers. Although, their talk of focal length, camera exposure and lens speed goes above my head, I love looking at the end result - a good picture!

I still remember the camera we had. It was a Yashica, and my father had paid a family friend to buy it for us from the Gulf. Photographs were reserved for special occasions, and the poses were standard too. The kids would be in front of our parents and there would be as many people as possible in every photograph (especially the earlier ones!) So, come any major festival, and you would find my sister and I dressed in clothes tailored from the same material and my brother, posing in front of my parents. (One of these days, I shall blog the economics behind the clothing in the same material, but for now - yes, we would be wearing the same shiny pink, or the same spotted blue!)

In all photos my father would be standing stark erect, and posing with a serious face. I have tried time and again to get him to smile in a photograph. He would smile, even grin or laugh before the flash comes on. But FLASH!!! Boom - there comes his serious face once again!

Yesterday, I was trying to get my father to pose for a photograph, and guess what? My father is standing erect with a serious face!!! The digital era may have swooped in with revolutionary changes, but I am glad some things never change.

3 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Funny thing is, my father gives that serious look to camcorders too...:)...

BrainWaves said...

Somethings camera can change for everything else.. you have Adobe photoshop!

If it is serious face for your father it is slanting/tilting pose for me :)

nourish-n-cherish said...

And brainwave couldn't wait for a blog for me to rib him about that! Well...well..well. Some things never change!