Monday, November 07, 2005

Words don't speak

When I reminisce about my School and College days, one thing I remember vividly was the "Parting diary culture".

There were pink diaries, blue diaries, heart-shaped diaries, and of course those tiresome diaries with lots of questions:
Name:
Favorite Actor: **I am pretty sure my favorite actor then is not my favorite actor now**
Favourite Director:
Favorite Colour: ** What would one do with this piece of info?!**
Birth Date:
Zodiac: ** Derive from above - DUHHH! **
Interests:

These diaries are handed out with gay abandon to pen your "good-byes" in. People one shared a smile with, would thrust a diary into your hand. For most diaries, I had a standard quote on life, a word of praise and a reminder to stay in touch.

I chose not to write in my closest friends diary, because I had too many things to share, too many things to hold onto. The sentimental side of my brain cried that "Keep in touch!" meant people would not keep in touch, and hence the request to "Keep in touch"!

On one of my recent cleaning sprees, I chanced upon my own college diary. My college diary just contained the addresses and phone numbers of all my friends, with small notes to "Keep in Touch" Ironically, the people I am still in touch with, are the ones who had not asked me to keep in touch with them!

I thumbed through the diary, and I chanced upon one tattered piece of paper, that I had taped to the very last page. I still remember a close friend of mine thrusting this note in my hand as my train was chugging away from Coimbatore station. I was leaving my friends and family to take up my first job in Bangalore. I was too pre-occupied to notice the letter. I was scouring the station to see where another one of my closest friends, mentor and senior was. She had promised to come and see me off, and I was upset that she had not come. As the train chugged on, and I could no longer see my friends, I crawled my way back to my seat, still upset that she had not come. I opened the letter to see the shortest note of all time. The essence of the communique was:

I am really bad with words Saumya,so I shall try my best... Please don't be upset with me for not coming to the station to see you off. But, I cannot bear to say "Bye" to you.
Love and prayers for your continued success,
---------

And that, my friend, is powerful communication!

6 comments:

sdpal said...

are you in touch with that friend now ?

nourish-n-cherish said...

Yes...of course!

Survivor said...

Powerful communication, indeed!
I think we are all gifted to have such friends in life..

BrainWaves said...

It is interesting how somethings stays with us for life.

Moving post.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Very powerful words... I can imagine how it would have felt. I love to be sharp with my usage of words too..but, it doesnt happen..:)

Meera Manohar said...

Wonderful recount...

Interestingly, most of my 'in-touch' circle never wrote good-bye notes or 'autographed' each others diaries...

Sadly, some of them I autographed for & got autographed from are in oblivion now-- well what I can say except )-:?